Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Taco Salad!


Photobucket
If you are anything like me then you enjoy a good taco night! I mean who doesn't? It does not require much time or ingredients and it is fantastic! When I was a kid taco bar night (which is what my mom calls it) was my favorite night... well that and cereal night! I know my mom thought she was  a bad mom when she would let us eat cereal for dinner but let me tell you some of my best memories are from coco pebbles for dinner night! Any who... I love frying up the taco shells but it is so unhealthy and creates so many more calories I don't do it often! Then I saw a way to cook the tortillas so that they were like a tostada but they are baked and have no added calories! I knew I had to try it out! It is so simple and makes you feel silly for not thinking of it sooner but glad that you now realized this quick and simple trick!

Start out with some tortillas!
Photobucket
Then get out your cupcake or muffin pan turn it upside down and spray it with pam. Put the tortilla between the cups and push down in the center so they are flat on the bottom and look like a tostada shell! On this first round I tried spraying the tortilla with pam but they got waited down too much and bubbled up too much that I opted to not do that on the others and they turned out better
Photobucket
Then bake them at 350 for about 12 minutes. You want them to be browned so you know they are going to being crisp. If you like them more chewy you can cook them less but because they are baked it is easier to eat when you leave them crispy!
While they are baking start your taco meat. I like to mix McCormick mild and hot taco seasoning so it is not too hot but not to weak!
Photobucket
I mix the powder with a fork with the water so that I can pour it on the meat and there are no seasoning clumps. It makes for an even mixture in with the meat.
While I was rotating out the shells I was cooking and while the meat was simmering I chopped up the veggies I wanted and grated the cheese for the taco salad.
Photobucket
Once the meat is done and your shells are cooked just assemble your taco salad in whatever way floats for boat!
Start with your empty baked shell
Photobucket
I then added some beans and thew on some cheese
Photobucket
I would like you all to know that Hubby came in the kitchen at this point and threw the cheese on and said "BAM! See I can cook too!!" haha but it is so easy and fun it would be a great dinner for kids!
I then added in the meat and the heat from the meat melts the cheese into the beans...
Photobucket
And if you notice yes the shell changed as Hubby stole his shell away to make his own and I had to start over with mine! Then I added on a little sprinkle of cheese tomato and onion
Photobucket
Finally I sprinkled it with a little freshly chopped cilantro and some avacado slices! YUM! I am a California girl ok and us Cali folks love us some avacado!
Photobucket
When I was in the ethnic foods isle of Wal-Mart I found these salsas and we tried out the one on the right. We were both a little hesitant of the other! haha but it was very good!
Photobucket
The finished product was so yummy! I broke apart my shell and ate it with the filling and it was the perfect crunchy compliment to all the spicy cheesey tastey insides! This as so fast so delicious and so yummy I know it will become a staple at our house and hopefully yours too!!
Photobucket
Have any of you tried this method before? Does anyone have any good tips to share?

3 comments:

Unknown on September 16, 2010 at 10:36 AM said...

F I N A L L Y you posted this blog! I have been patiently waiting since you teased me with a text picture. ha. YOU KNOW I LOVE my TACO SALADS. Back in the day, we were both obsessed with La Salsas. =) I cant wait to try this at home. Thanks for sharing, as always....your fantastic and I love your BLOG!

Leslie on September 16, 2010 at 3:59 PM said...

We are Taco salad lovers here too!!!
Thanks for visiting my blog! Stop back by anytime

Suze on September 24, 2010 at 6:44 AM said...

Yum! Thanks for the tip on how to do those tortilla bowls!!
Doesn't that just drive you crazy about the husband? Mine ALWAYS takes the 'pretty plate' before I can get a picture! ha!

 

Sweet Sins 2 Share Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template In collaboration with fifa
Cake Illustration Copyrighted to Clarice